Sunday, November 15, 2009

Studies

Well, I finally got around to making some use outta the older Preston Blair books I've had for a while. John K is an inspiring person for me, and he swears by Preston Blair as THE animator to emulate if you want to learn solid drawing skills. So, here I am, taking that advice, even though I've been drawing for the better part of my existence. I can never learn enough. I may not be a traditional hand-drawn animator, but I admire the skill and have a great deal of respect for people who really can do animation by hand. I want to carry as much of that knowledge as I can into what I do on a computer. A strong drawing ability will aid absolutely anything you do that pertains to graphic arts and animation, regardless of the medium and it's frightening for me to think that I might ever let that go.

I'll start with this Porky Pig, that isn't by Preston Blair. This is copied from a frame grab of an old Looney Tunes cartoon that John K posted on his blog a while back.



And below are the Preston Blair studies I've done, from the first few pages of the book.









Not from the original book with the better drawings, but I paid for these, so I might as well use 'em.

No comments: